Friday, May 24, 2013

Gypsies in the Palace

When I was in Florida over the winter, my pal Shelly had suggested we return to Florida for a week during the month of May to fish for redfish, trout, and snook.  I didn't have to think about that for too long.  We purchased our airline tickets in February, and flew down to Ft Myers last Wednesday.  Shelly has a very nice house on the north end of Pine Island in the little town of Bokeelia.  Here's the view from his deck.



Shelly may be the most accomplished non-professional fisherman I know.  He has lots and lots of the best fishing equipment available.  He also has a great flats boat that he keeps on a lift at his house.  So when Shelly asked me to join him fishing in Florida in May, I just knew we would catch fish. 

His flats boat will run about 38 mph over water that's only about 6" deep.  When we came to a shallow spot, he tilted the motor up slightly, and gave it full throttle.  If we stop, we're stuck.


We fished all over Pine Island Sound.  An area that's known as one of the best fishing spots in the country.  We fished miles of shorelines like this.

 
We fished for trout.


We fished for snook.


And we fished for redfish



(Photo Unavailable) 




That's right. My favorite fish--redfish--did not show up on photo day.  Or any other day.  We fished hard for six days.  (OK, Shelly caught two reds.  But I was skunked.)  I saw more manatees than redfish.)


Both Shelly and I caught tons of redfish over the winter months, and May is usually a better month for fishing than January and February.  However..................when we booked our trip, we failed to check the tide tables.  Fishing in Florida is better when the tide is moving, and this past week had hardly any tide flowing, and what little there was, happened at night. 

It was another great trip for me.  I got to stay in another wonderful location.  And spent the week out fishing with one of my pals.  And no, I didn't catch any redfish, but just like my recent tarpon trip with my pal Steve, catching fish may not be the most important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment