Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hobie Kayaks on the White River

I've talked a lot about how much I like fishing on the White River.  So it should be no surprise that my Hobie fishing pals would want to join me.  (I have been fortunate to be a Hobie Kayak fishing team member the last couple of years.  Charlie and Eileen at Sailboats Inc let me join their team, and have loaned me a Hobie kayak to use.)

Yesterday, I was joined on the White River by Charlie, Nathan (the other Sailboats Inc team member,) and A.J., who is the regional rep for Hobie Kayaks.  They were all using Hobie Pro Anglers, and I was using an Outback.


I hadn't been catching too many (any) fish lately, so I was concerned that this trip might not be productive.  To make the pressure even greater, A.J. said that smallmouth bass is his favorite species to catch. 

As we were at the launching ramp, a fishing guide was taking out some clients in his flat bottom boat with a jet drive outboard.  We told him we were headed downstream.  He said he had to going upstream because it was too shallow for his boat downstream.

It didn't take A.J. long to connect on some smallies.  Then, he had parked the bow of his Pro Angler on a log, and put down his Power Pole to maintain his position in the current.  He found a decent smallie in this hole, and then a very nice largemouth in the same area.


We pedaled on down the river, with everyone catching fish.  Just before the final rapids, A.J. found an exceptional smallmouth.   








At the take-out spot, we loaded all four Hobie kayaks on A.J.'s truck, and drove back up to the launching ramp.  Just as we were turning in, the guide we met earlier, was heading out.  He stopped and said "We didn't get much today.  Did any of you boys catch a 20 incher?"

We replied......."Funny you should ask"




No comments:

Post a Comment