Thursday, June 19, 2014

Not so White River

Dawg and I thought we'd do some fishing on the White River today.  Between thunderstorms. (If you wait for a day in Indiana that does not have scattered showers in the forecast, you wouldn't leave home all summer.)

I loaded my Hobie Outback, and met Dawg down at 146th Street.  We set his blue Otter beside my Outback and drove up to Forest Park.


The water didn't look too muddy where we launched, but when we got to where Cicero Creek dumps into the White River, the mud began.  In this photo, Cicero creek is coming in from the left.  You can see the clear water beyond the mud.

  
 Although I have used the Hobie Outback several times, this was my first day on the river.  I was a little concerned about the Mirage drive in the shallow parts of the river.  Turned out to be a non issue.  Whenever I saw I was approaching rapids, I would pull the drive out, and paddle through.  Later. I would just keep my pedals apart which brings the fins up tight to the bottom of the hull.  No problem.


Not sure how we have missed  it on all the other trips down the river, but today we noticed a lake just over the river bank.  A short portage.  I suspect it's a private lake, and we'd get evicted pretty quick--but it looks enticing.


We didn't see one fish today, but we did enjoy floating down the river again.




No comments:

Post a Comment